A. PRODUCTS BANNED FOR EXPORTS:
Articles of Archaeological and Religious Importance
- National and foreign coins of archaeological value - Idols of gods and goddesses, palm leaf inscription (Tad Patra), plant leaf inscription (Bhojpatra)
- Scroll (Thanka paintings) of historical importance
- Cosw & Oxen
Conserved wildlife and related Articles - Wild animals
- Bile and any part of wild animals
- Snake skin, lizard skin Drugs
- Marijuana, opium hashish (as defined in the Single Convention on Narcotics 1961)
Articles of Industrial Raw Materials
- Explosive materials and the related fuse or materials needed for fuse
- Materials used in the production of arms and ammunition
Industrial Raw Materials - Raw hides and skin (including dry salted)
- Raw wool
- All the imported raw materials, spare parts and capital goods, Other Products
- Log and timber
- Export to India
- All the goods imported from countries other than India (except permitted under bag & baggage notification)
B. PRODUCTS UNDER QUANTITATIVE RESTRICTIONS: Sugar
Products as notified by the Government of Nepal in Gazette from time to time.
C. PRODUCTS ALLOWED FOR EXPORTS:
All products other than banned ones and which are not under quantitative restrictions.
i. The Ministry of industry, Commerce & Supplies shall decide from time to time the goods to be included under the category of quantitative restrictions and volume of their exports.
ii. The Ministry of Industry, Commerce & Supplies shall interpret as to which of the products listed above will be permitted to export.
A. PRODUCTS BANNED FOR IMPORTS:
Products injurious to health;
- Narcotic drugs like opium and morphine,
- Liquor containing more than 60 percent alcohol (except for use as industrial raw materials).
Arms and ammunition, and explosives (except under import licence of Government of Nepal; - Materials used in the production of arms and ammunition,
- Gun and cartridges,
- Capes without paper,
- Arms and ammunition, other explosives
- Wireless, walkie-talkie and similar other audio communication equipment (except under import licence of the Government of Nepal.) Others
- Beef and beef products
- Plastic rags and recycled plastic goods.
- 118 Azodyes hazardous to environment and detrimental to export sector
B. LICENCE REQUIRED FOR IMPORTS FROM OVERSEAS:
- Product under quantitative restriction by the Government of Nepal for imports;
- Products included under the Bidding from time to time (except one item each of goods
allowed for individual purpose without licence),
- Products to be imported in excess of the fixed quantity notified as allowable imports for individual purpose;
- Poppy seeds.
C. PRODUCTS ALLOWED FOR IMPORTATION FORM OVERSEAS WITHOUT IMPORT LICENCE AND L/C (EXCEPT THOSE PRODUCTS, WHICH ARE LISTED UNDER BIDDING AND PROHIBITIONS):
- Products imported under agreement by the office Corporation of the Government of Nepal, Social Institution or Authority or Project on the recommendation of the concerned Ministry.
- Necessary emergency medicine sends as gift by an individual or institution to a seriously ill patient residing in Nepal.
- Printed materials such a poster, calendar etc. brought for publicity.
- Products notified as free from customs duty and sales tax by the Government of Nepal, Ministry of Finance.
- Products of a value up to US$ 100 received as gift or prize while participating in a meeting, conference at the invitation of the foreign Government or International Institution.
- Products donated or gifted to Nepalese institution/association with the permission of the concerned Ministry by a friendly country or International/Regional Association, Institution, Social Organization or Individual,
- Products imported for personal use by a foreigner employed under an agreement in Project and joint Venture Project in Nepal on the recommendation of the concerned Ministry.
- Advertisement, label, sticker and sample materials bearing the logo of a Company or Firm up to a value of US$ 100,
- Office related products up to a value of US$ 100 send by the Head Office of Foreign Company, joint Venture Company or Foreign Airlines to their Nepal based Representative office, Branch office or General Sales Agent (G.SA.)
- Goods under Bag and Baggage notification, and gold, silver up-to the fixed quantity.
- Raw silk up to 100 kg.
D. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CASES AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, THE MINISTRY OF INDUSTRY COMMERCE AND SUPPLIES WILL, ON THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE CONCERNED MINISTRY, DECIDE ON MERIT BASIS, FOR PRODUCTS DONATED TO ANY INSTITUTION NOT FOR BUSINESS PURPOSE BUT AS GIFTS.
E. UNLESS OTHERWISE MENTIONED IN THIS NOTIFICATION, IMPORT IS NOT ALLOWED WITHOUT OPENING A LETTER OF CREDIT OR AN IMPORT
Note: This is an unofficial translation of the Nepal Gazette Part 3, Section 42 and Number 33 dated 2049.8.15 (Nov/Dec.1992) and incorporates changes to date.